Identify SEVEN leaders whom you would like to interview. It is advantageous to interview individuals in your field of interest/future profession (please no relatives). Every attempt should be made to conduct face-to-face interviews. “E-mail” interviews are not acceptable. Telephone interviews are strongly discouraged. Face-to-face is the way to go! Build that network! Find a potential mentor!
Each interview usually takes 30 to 40 minutes. The goal is to “bring to life” some of the concepts and theories presented in the course
The written summary of each interview should be approximately two pages with two-thirds of the content describing the responses to your questions and one third dedicated to your personal insights/best takeaways. I am very interested in the big takeaways. You should define at least three.
1. Name a person who has had a tremendous impact on you as a leader? Maybe someone who has been a mentor to you? Why and how did this person impact your life?
2. What are the most important decisions you make as a leader in your organization?
3. As an organization gets larger there can be a tendency for the “institution” to dampen the “inspiration.” How do you keep this from happening?
4. How do you encourage creative thinking within your organization? Where do the great ideas come from in your organization?
5. Which of the following is most important in your organization—mission, core values, or vision?
6. How do you or others in your organization communicate the “core values”? How do you encourage others in your organization to communicate the “core values”? How do you ensure your organization and its activities are aligned with your “core values”
7. How do you help a new employee understand the culture of your organization
8. When faced with two equally-qualified candidates, how do you determine whom to hire?
9. What is one characteristic that you believe every leader should possess?
10. What is the biggest challenge facing leaders today?
11. What is one mistake you witness young leaders frequently making? What are a few behaviors or traits that you have seen that derailed a leader’s career?
12. What advice would you give someone going into his/her first leadership position
13. What do you do to ensure you continue to grow and develop as a leader?